Thursday, May 12, 2005

WCF - The Yolk or the White?

I was reading my morning CNN, all trusting, and I came across this:

New Species of Rodent Found
"The long-whiskered rodent...represents an entire new family of wildlife, the Wildlife Conservation Society said.

The kha-nyou, as local people call it, was discovered by a team of scientists in a hunter's market in central Laos, according to a news release from the New York-based group.

"It was for sale on a table next to some vegetables. I knew immediately it was something I had never seen before," Robert Timmins, a WCS researcher, was quoted as saying of his find."

Ok, first thing.
If you find it on a table for sale, you can't say you "discovered it".
That's like dropping a tampon in a teacup and calling it "found art".

Second thing.
If the indigenous people have a name for the animal, you didn't discover shit, aaight?

If you discover something that no one has ever seen before, even if it's a new microscopic bacteria, I'll be impressed.

Otherwise, go 'way kid, ya bother me.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:16 PM

    fair enough

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. but what else is there to do? people are bored. discovery/(re)discovery is fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete