Thursday, February 11, 2010

"You run like a girl!"

(Since girls are more flexible and graceful than guys, should I take that as a compliment?)

I’m doing the 5K run Saturday morning in Gainesville. At this moment, weather.com tells me the temperature at 8am will be 35 degrees. I usually run in my shorts and sleeveless shirt, but I don’t think I’ll be doing that on Saturday. Or maybe I will. I have some snazzy jogging pants, but I really hate being encumbered – I’m sure I’d warm up quickly, right? We’ll see…

My ‘running’ speed makes it clear that what I’m actually doing is a fast walk masquerading as a run – it takes me 11 minutes to run one mile.

When I started training for the 5K last month, I imagined that 5K would just be a start, and that I would work my way up to 10K and 15K. Now that I’ve been running 5K three times a week and walking 5K three times a week, I think that 5K is long enough, thank you very much. I’m open to the possibility of running four miles at a time (5K is 3.1 miles) but six or nine miles at a time seems like overkill. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment