Monday, March 03, 2008

Home Movies of my cat. Yep.

We have a DVR. It has lots of room. You wouldn't believe how fast it fills up (unless you have one too).

There are many things that Cindy records on the DVR that never come out on DVD (like Prancing Wit Da Stars, or So You Tink Ya Kin Prance, or Prance Wars... you might be seeing a trend here) so these things must be saved for posterity. Just a single backup copy for home use in case California falls into the ocean, you understand.

We had a basic, no-frills DVD burner (a Panasonic DMR-ES15) that would allow us to create this one single backup copy for home use with no worries. Well, it died recently, and I went to Best Buy and picked up a snazzy new Sony DVD burner, oh so nice. The stylish, polished aluminum case! The gorgeous on-screen interface!

The copy protection!

That's right, my new DVD Burner would not allow me to record from TV. Or would it? I tested it, recording a number of different channels and programs. I couldn't record So Ya Tink Ya Kin Prance, but it would allow me to record Two and a Half Men. I couldn't record The Parkers, but I could record Futurama. What the hoo haa? I'd much rather record Futurama than any of the other crap.

So I returned the Sony DVD Burner, (Gosh, it won't let me record my home movies!) ordered another Panasonic DMR-ES15 from Amazon. Yay, now we're safe in case California falls into the ocean. I wonder if there is a web site somewhere that lists DVD burners without copy protection?
.
.

1 comment:

  1. Darn. I was hoping to see some home movies of your cat.

    ReplyDelete