Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Names Changed to Protect the Innocent

I checked my email this morning to discover one from Hallmark E-Card Services:

Your E-Card has been sent to BadgeryMojo!

"Whaaaa?" Says I.

I fumble around in my recent memories... I don't recall sending an e-card. Nope.

Now I'm worried. What did I send? WHEN? Was it that night I was high from sniffing cherry-flavored markers? Or that night I concocted the Ultimate S'Mores (80% pure Cocao, Mallow Whip, and Gourmet Graham)??

What did the card say? Was it a mad plea that we run off together to Beautiful Downtown Des Moines, to live in a cardboard box, dwelling in quiet obscurity as Beat Poets and Soap Box Philosophers?

Turns out it was a simple 'Hello', but I still don't remember sending it - and Hallmark doesn't say when I placed the e-card request, just when it was sent.

It might be cool to create a series of e-cards for your loved ones, each one different, to be sent each year on their birthday, for like the next 100 years. How odd would it be to receive a B-Day card from a long-dead friend or loved one? Would you change your email address to avoid it, or wait excitedly to see what they sent?

Imagine getting annual e-cards like that from your parents - it would be especially cool if each card told the secret story of their lives, all the crazy shit you never knew about, and you had to wait a year for each installment.


2 comments:

  1. ok. now i'm weired out.

    (i posted tonight first, before i read this one.)

    hm. should i erase the pleasant grin and the "he's too cool" from my memory?

    great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the fact that I don't recall doing it should not detract from its thoughtfulness.

    If I killed someone, but had no memory of it - I would be no less guilty.

    By this logic, I am no less thoughtful for my lack of memory of the e-card...

    ReplyDelete