Thursday, May 15, 2008

Proof of Insurance

Let's say I'm pulled over by the police, and they want to see my proof of insurance - I don't have the most current printed proof, so I use my iPhone to access the Geico website and view the on-screen proof.

"See, Mr. Officer Sir, I have full and current coverage with Geico! Let's dance!"

Would that get me out of a ticket? Probably not.

But what's the difference between a piece of paper and a digitally displayed document? The online version is much more likely to be up to date than the paper version, which (HELLO) I print myself at home, using my PC and my very own printer.

It would be easy to print myself a completely fake proof. It would be easy to create a fake web proof too... So, what's valid? I'm sure there are some precedents out there for virtual docs vs. printed ones - I'll have to do some research.


No comments:

Post a Comment