Tuesday, February 27, 2007

That's "Year-Oh"

Since the nearest Greek food is 50 miles away in Orlando, I was pleased as punch when I discovered this at the grocery store:

The Opaa! Gyros Kit!..Hells yeah!
.
This is the box - it's good 10x8 inches, so I hope you have the fridge space..
These are the contents of the box - it's all pretty well packaged, though the meat should have been in a ziplock-style plastic bag..
I had my first gyro Cleveland in the mid 90's during a lunch break, in the midst of delivering furniture to people's houses. The truck driver was the sort to experiment with food, and could tell you all the best hole-in-the-wall Mom & Pop restaurants. Of course, being uncouth Yankees, we called them "Jye-row's".

I'd never had Greek food before, so my first gyro was quite a shock - the spices! The grey mystery meat! The tasty secret sauce! Now it's right there in my top 5 favorite foods.

It had been a good year since my last gyro when I found the Opaa! kit at the grocery store. They're nothing like a fresh gyro, but I'd still recommend this brand. They'll do until I can get to Orlando. If you're feeling mystery-meat deprived, give em a try!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm. Incidentally, if you are ever in Columbus, check out Nazareth Deli. Little place with great food and an amusing owner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironically I just had a gyro for lunch. The dining hall makes them once in a while. I don't think I had ever had one before college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gyros, and we've tried the Opaa kits too. You're right, it certainly isn't as good as the real thing, but for a quick fix, it's not too bad. We haven't found any grocery store version that's any better (that I can remember, at least).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remembered this post the other day when I was grocery shopping and decided to give that kit a try. You know what... it's pretty good! Sure it's not the same as getting a fresh made one with lamb shaved right off the spit, but the pita is really good, the "cucumber sauce" is quite tasty, and the meat is pretty decent. I gotta say for being a freezer case product it's excellent.

    ReplyDelete