Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Mebbe I need me a huntin dawg?

Reading through all the online job postings for this area, it's odd how many want you to show up on their doorstep - 'apply in person at 1234 Job St'. I'd never seen that in postings for jobs in Los Angeles - but I guess a smaller city can afford the foot traffic.

(I still have my job with Wingular Cireless, such as it is)

Also, in these job postings, there's a lot of 'fax your resume to...' and very few email addresses. Luckily we have a fax machine, a big ole printer/scanner behemoth that's like 10 years old. Tell you the truth, I'm not even sure the fax is working - maybe I'm sending blank pages to all these folks - that would:

a) Explain why no one ever calls me for an interview
b) Soothe my damaged and fragile ego.

Part of it could be that for the last 6 years I worked in Software Quality Assurance, and no one here has any idea what that is when they see it on my resume. It sounds like a BS job title, maybe? Does Data Processing Clerk sound better?

One posting that claims to be an international semiconductor sales firm appears (according to Google Maps) to be run out of some guy's house. Hm. My wife has vetoed that job, though I'm sure it's possible to sell semiconductors out of your garage. He's not necessarily a serial killer - the fact that he wants me to bring kitty litter, duct tape and garbage bags to the interview means nothing. Maybe he just has a lot of cats.

I'm gonna have to send a test fax to Cindy at her work. I'm torn - If the fax is broken, I can blame the equipment for not getting any calls... But then I have to buy a new fax machine and start over.

1 comment:

  1. Tell me about it!

    I think I can imagine the meeting:

    "Why don't we have people email their applications and resumes?"

    "I have a better idea! Let's use something similar to email, but far more complicated to use, that very few people have in their homes, and still requires paper, printer ink and a phonecall to send a digital message!"

    Fax technology is dead...I just wish they're realise that.

    As a sidenote, Monster.com, despite the fact I told them I don't have a drivers licence, and want office/admin jobs...my "best matches" all appear to be truck driving jobs.

    ReplyDelete