Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Bad Habit

Occasionally when I get excited by something (being an idea-person, not an actions-person, the very concept of something cool and interesting gets me all revved up) I can feel the tingle of electricity about me, and since I watch too much fantastical television, I fancifully discharge this by throwing an imaginary lightning bolt or fireball.

I put my hands together, then theatrically rotate them apart as if willing the energetic synthesis to grow between them. Then I fire the energy towards the most distant wall.

Harmless if deluded fun? Maybe.

But what happens on that fateful day when a real fireball, fully and frighteningly imbued with real life no-bullshit fiery ballness goes flying from my fingertips, igniting the curtains and bringing my humble abode down around my ankles?

Before the government could drag me kicking and screaming into a brightly lit room and its cold, cold examination table, the local authorities would have me in jail for the willful intent to throw energetic bolts in a district zoned for domestic housing.

Looks like I have one more New Year's Resolution, one I should have learned as a kid - don't play ball in the house.
.
.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure this is completely acceptable as long as when you do finally shoot that fireball, you yell "Hadouken!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe it's the FEAR of actually throwing a fireball that prevents us from doing it.

    ...Sorry, came over a bit 'Chicken soup for the soul' there

    ReplyDelete
  3. what if the fireball you cast is real in another dimension? or not a fireball as we know it, but an energy wave that travels across galaxies and warps some weather pattern on another arm of the great spiral?

    ever think about that? so, yeah, no playing ball in the house or milkyway unless you really know what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete