Friday, February 01, 2008

Holy Shit! Lost Time! Woo!

Only cool and fascinating people experience lost time - mentalists, ufo abductees, amnesiacs, and folks with Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Well add me to this elite list, because Brother, I Done Lost Me Some Time.

I'm in the process of considering possibly changing my wireless provider - as for now, I have BrandX and it works decently, but AT&T seems to have a stronger signal in the areas I actually need my phone to work. Could simply be a 'grass is always greener' thing.

I've been spending a bunch of time at the BrandX website, calculating who I call the most, minutes-wise (Cindy) who I call next most (Mom) and so on... (Yes, I call Mommy once a week, want to make something of it?)

I even had an Excel sheet running, calculating and breaking down call statistics so I know the best plan to go to when I change to AT&T. The mobile-to-mobile would mean the minutes spent calling Cindy would not count against my package minutes, greatly reducing how many I would need.

Rollover minutes would mean less need for a buffer, for those months some shit be going down, and I needs to rap with my posse more than usual.

So have my Excel sheet humming away - I'm adding drop-down lists, which populates pivot tables, which displays a spiffy deduction tally broken down by five different criteria... when I notice something.

I have 48 minutes of usage per month that are unaccounted for. 48 MINUTES! Good Lord. What am I doing during this time? Do I have some secret (even to me) phone sex fetish? Am I a sleeper agent for some freaky cell of kumquat-juggling mimes? I mean, damn, that's 12 minutes of usage per week.

First I double-checked that all of my formulas were being calculated correctly - all was correct. Then I double-checked how the tables were processing the data - all was correct. Next, I went back to manually crunch the numbers I was being provided from BrandX.

Aha! The BrandX bills have changed recently to a much more simplistic form, and guess what - it wasn't displaying my calls to myself - to voicemail, that is. Referring back to my old bills that provided the call details, the calls to voicemail averaged about 1.71 minutes of usage per day, and was the source of my 48 minutes of lost time per month. Ah well. There's always the chance of a brain tumor in later life...
.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:47 AM

    you should have reveled in those 12 minutes longer before figuring it out . . . i was expecting IM fight clubs

    ReplyDelete