Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Doctoring the TARDIS

The new Doctor Who premiers (in the U.S.) this weekend. I don’t just mean the new season, but a new incarnation of The Doctor. It’s some punk kid Matt Smith (not Punk the style, punk the ‘I am unhappy with his presence’ type of punk) in the role of The Doctor, and he has some mighty big shoes to fill.

The new Doctor Who logoI’ve been a fan of Doctor Who since probably 6th grade (1984) when I first caught re-runs of Tom Baker’s version of The Doctor on PBS. Baker was my favorite until David Tennant came along. Tennant has just just the right mix of seriousness and manic glee for the role.

I’ve been thinking it’s high time for a female Doctor, but no such luck. Can you imagine Judi Dench as The Doctor? Michelle Ryan would have been good too, but she guest starred as another character. Ditto for Alex Kingston.

I’m hopeful that this punk kid will turn out to be a good The Doctor – I love the series!

Sally Sparrow is one of my favorite Doctor Who characters, from one of my favorite episodes - ‘Blink’. Sally is played by Carey Mulligan, who went on to win an Oscar for Best Actress in ‘An Education’. So much for my dreams of a ‘Sparrow & Nightingale’ spin-off series. Maybe I’ll do a fanfic of that one… I’ve never done a fanfic before, but this one would be fun.

7 comments:

  1. I know- I just saw the last episode of DW where David Tennant morphs into the new Doc.
    It's the end of an era.
    I don't like the new doctor- he looks like a smart-arsed punk and I want DT back.
    Even Christopher What's-his-name would be better than the new one. That's the only two Doctors I've seen.
    Unfortunately, I saw Christopher W-H-N after I saw DT as the Doctor, and yeah.....

    A female Doctor would have been interesting......Judi Dench would have been an awesome choice.....or wouldn't it have been interesting if ROSE(Billi Piper) had been the new Doctor. Or Donna- She would have been PERFECT since she already was the Doctor/Donna!!!

    And what was with the new Doctor AND a new companion at the same time....That's just WRONG!! There should be SOME sort of continuation in the series, shouldn't there?????

    They're just doing it ALL wrong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can see, this is Sunny's first experience of a regeneration. She saw maybe one or two episodes of Chris Eccleston's Doctor, but didn't get into the show until Tennant came along.

    When you've been through all ten doctors (I started with Tom Baker as well, but I think I've seen every episode now)...you get used to it.

    Personally, I don't like the look of Matt Smith much myself (he looks like a cross between Herman Munster and John Kerry)...but I also thought Tom Baker was the definitive Doctor until David Tennant came along.

    I think my mood is 'cautiously optimistic'...I just think it was a mistake to not have one of the old companions hang on for a little while to give a bit of continuity.

    I'm just going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt...having been a fan for over two decades, I'm gonna watch it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:54 PM

    guys there is a female doctor... remember the epp where he gets a female clone... she was fucking hot a spin off or a tie back to her would be great.

    Sorry to say but the US Dr Who is just going to be embarrassing to watch and will just dirty the DW universe... but i'll still watch it....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a moment Dog3oy, the female clone was his daughter -so a Timelord yes, female Doctor no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I MISS that episode?????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:30 PM

    hey, good point.. i don't want to go down the chauvinist route but i don't think a female doctor running around with a cute male assistant is really going to work for me.
    Sunny, Series 3 not sure which epp. but had Martha in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul has probably already played the episode for you by now - it's The Doctor's Daughter.

    This episode has the most excellent actor Nigel Terry, who played my favorite King Arthur in the 1981 'Excalibur'.

    Best ever Merlin was also in Excalibur, Nicol Williamson!

    ReplyDelete