Monday, April 30, 2007

"Dear Daddy, IOU 1 Poopy"

I'm an organized guy. When I leave my desk at work (when I have a job, that is) you'd think the desk was ready for some new guy to start sitting there on Monday. Only the computer items and the phone are on the desk. What is there is straight, well-aligned, and symmetrical.

My home desk is pretty much the same way, except for the neatly folded paper towels, which seem to multiply like tribbles.

Knowing this, it will come as no surprise to you that I keep a CatLog posted on the inside of the bathroom door. I track litterbox use by excretion type and quantity (what I wouldn't give for an automated system that would create a timestamp for each visit) and scoop the potty out of the box probably four times a day.

Too much? No. Our house does not smell in the slightest of cat potty. You can come into the house, yea verily into the bathroom, get on your knees and sniff the litterbox and you'd still be hard pressed to determine whether or not we have a cat.

Using the chart, I also track any health or behavioral issues - why not? I have the chart already posted, broken down by day. It's an easy thing to jot down "threw up dinner @ 8:30pm" or "ate only 1/3 of breakfast" or "right eye watery - pollen allergies?" or "very vocal today" or "grumpy" next to the potty info.

Day to day, the information probably isn't very useful, but it will be handy if and when something health-related happens, I'll have a history that might actually be useful to the vet. Questions about kitty's potty activity, diet, and behavior habits are easily answered. I enter all the data into an excel sheet at the end of the month.

Hey, here's a cat-question: Ours has never thrown up a hairball. She's a shorthair, if that matters. Is this normal? She's our first cat.

According to my data - on an average day, our kitty pee's twice and poo's once. Every third or fourth day, a poo is skipped, and I need to have some friendly but stern words with the kitty.

"Where's the poopy? You owe me a poopy, Little Miss! You get your fuzzy butt in there and get digging!" No, of course it doesn't work.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmmmmm....


    Dude, you have WAAAAAAAAYYYY, waaaaay too much time on your hands!

    You realize the cat KNOWS you're keeeping tabs on his habits and will soon be doing really odd things just to make you worry, don't you?

    Oh, those cats are WILEY creatures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS hairballs aren't that common. Our last cat threw up maybe one or two in as many years.

    Oh, and you really DO have too much time on your hands...I thought I was bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:01 PM

    this post does not exist this post does not exist this post does not exist this post does not exist this post does not exist this post does not exist this post does not exist this post does not exist this post does not exist this post does not exist this post does not exist this post does not exist

    yoursq

    ReplyDelete