Friday, April 06, 2007

Showering With Mike

I stopped using bars of soap a few years ago - the liquid body wash and scrubby poof method is just faster and better.
Poofs grow wild in the Andes, did you know? There's a wide range of liquid body wash types out there, (have you tried the new Irish Spring liquid? Love it!) and most of them have a serious design flaws:

1) The bottle top captures about a tablespoon of water during a shower. While this doesn't impair the function of the bodywash bottle, it does come as an unwelcome shock when cold water from yesterday's shower sprinkles across my naked goods.

Yes, those goods.

That's just bad design, people! You know these bottles will be used in wet environments - is it really a good idea to collect water? All they have to do is put in little decorative holes or slots to let the water out - they'd end up using less plastic that way and save money on production costs.

2) Many bottles are not designed to sit upside down. Since most body wash liquids are fairly thick and slow-flowing, once you've reached the half-a-bottle or less stage, you either have to store the bottle upside down or shakeshakeshake it to get the contents to come out. Bad design.

3) Screw-tops. My hands are wet, you dinks. At least put some raised texture on the tops and bottles so I can get some grip.

4) Screw-tops with the little press-open tilty top - bad because the opening is usually too tiny and you have to squeeze really hard to get the thick liquid to come out. Also, my hands are wet you dinks, if I squeeze the bottle hard, it's likely to pop out of my hands. And fall on my foot.

5) Pop-tops with teeny little grooves to pop them open. Please do not assume that I have fingernails. I should not need a swiss army knife to access my bodywash. We're not talking a can of baked beans here - this is soap.

6) Those squeezy-pouchy bottle designs. They have pokey corners, and hello I'm wet, naked and vulnerable here. When your skin is wet, it's more fragile.

7) Right-side-up-only bottle design with a narrow base. Sure, it looks stylish - but it's gonna get knocked over and fall - domino effect results, and you have five bottles swishing around your feet. Bad.

8) Giant Tub of Paste design - not hygienic for multiple users, big lid to unscrew, remove, and drop. Awkward. Can drop giant tub on innocent, unsuspecting toes.
.
Someone got paid cash money to design theseRecommendation - get yourself down to Bed Bath and Beyond and find a nice liquid soap pump - something with a wide base. I'd recommend a plastic or stainless steel version - avoid the ceramic models.

4 comments:

  1. Dude... I don't know how to say this, but after the words "scrubby poof" I had to turn you in. The Men's Association of Men will be asking for your membership card back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'scrubby poof' evidence IS rather damning... but I negated it by using 'Irish Spring'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No offense but I'd rather not shower with Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 'scrubby poof' is a great invention but to hold onto your man-card you have to call it a "scrubbing pad".

    Of course, if you're a REAL man, you have one made out of wire-wool and barbed wire...and need to buy a new one after each shower because you wore it out.

    ReplyDelete