Monday, August 06, 2007

What's an IKEA Hiring Event like?


I suspect it will involve lingonberries...
Tune in tonight!

~~~~~

All right! Now for the details. A few weeks ago, I was scheduled to attend an IKEA hiring event on 8/6/07. I searched online, but wasn't able to find out any details. What to expect? Math tests? Word problems? Something metric? FRACTIONS?

The whole thing was actually very laid back. It took about 4 hours. Here's a blow by blow, for anyone who might be curious in the future:

1) You come in the office door and get in line.

2) A gal at a table checks your name off a list.

3) A guy asks which department you're applying for and gives you a 8.5 x 11 piece of colored paper (purple was for my dept, Logistics - there were 4 or 5 other colors as well).

4) You're given an application, and allowed to find your own seat in a 20x30 room with 9 tables, one of these holds a laptop and projector.

5) You use a marker to put your name on the colored paper and make a little tent out of it.

6) You fill out the application, which is only 2 pages worth of fields, and the rest is disclosures about drug and ethics.

7) The application takes about 15 minutes to fill out, but they allow 30. It's good to make a point to chat with your tablemates, as your level and manner of interaction is constantly being gauged.

8) Soda and water are offered, there are tables up front with 4 or 5 different cookies, and there are several types of Swedish candy on your tables.

9) A short Powerpoint presentation about the company, its origins and etc.

10) Next, all the job applicants (45 of us) each stood up and introduced ourselves.

11) 10 minute break

12) Break up into teams, do fun activity for about 20 mins (no math or anything else challenging) - remember that your level and manner of interaction is constantly being gauged.

13) Present results of activity.

14) Break into new, larger teams for a construction activity (wood, rope, tape, foam, wire, string) for 30 minutes. Remember that your level and manner of interaction is constantly being gauged.

15) Present your finished construction - and prove its strength.

16) More IKEA overview - 10 mins worth

17) Q&A period for about 15/20 minutes.

18) The managers call out their applicants, some who were interviewed immediately - others (like myself) get appointments for the near future.

No allen wrenches.

Everyone was very friendly, upbeat, and laid back. The store location (Orlando) will have lockers for all workers, showers and changing rooms (to encourage biking to work). I could (and have) done much worse than work for IKEA - I'm really stoked about the chance to work for such an interesting company - in Los Angeles, we used to go to IKEA when we had to get out of the house - and it's hard to get out of there spending less than $100!

My interview is for tomorrow morning, wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Does the application come with an Allen wrench?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they let your ride the Dala horses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In line with the IKEA design philosophy, you should be bright, fashionable and budget conscious for the first few months of your employment, then slowly prove to be fragile, easily grubbied and unstable over time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you get the job, see if you can find out what the weight limit is on those cart-escalator things that carry your cart up/downstairs for you while you ride the human-escalator next to it. Since the first time I saw one of those, I so badly wanted to ride in the cart in the cart-escalator. But if I need to shed a few pounds first to squeak in under the limit, I'd like to know (before I get stuck half-way up).

    Word of caution: this isn't a question to bring up at the interview. I'm pretty sure of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:13 PM

    Hello I kno this is an old post but I also have an ikea hiring event to attend in Baltimore md any updated info would be most appreciated

    ReplyDelete