Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cautiously Optimistic

Despite my bitterness for the way Battlestar Gallactica ended a great series with a sadly lacking final season, I find myself drawn to Caprica, the new series by the same writer/producer, Ronald D. Moore.

Will I never learn that a series will rarely meet my expectations in the end? At least I never bothered with Lost after my frustrations with Alias. Maybe the ride is more important than the destination.

I'll be light on the Caprica details, since I don’t want to spoil anything.

Caprica takes place 58 years before Battlestar Gallactica and occupies a world probably fifty years ahead of our technology in 2010. Basic AI is in use, with advanced robotics just around the corner. Virtual reality is commonplace on Caprica, though since it’s a new technology the majority of its users are teens. There’s an interesting crossover taking place between robotics and the VR world which I think is pretty inspired – I don’t know that Moore came up with the idea… In Sci-Fi it’s very hard to be the first to conceive any concept.

I was finding it difficult to really connect with any of the characters, finally settling on Lacy Rand (yum) and Tamara Adama – I suppose I like them because they are outsiders, trying to navigate a difficult world on their own. What does that say about me - do I feel like an outsider? Not really.

The juxtaposition of the highly technical Greystone family and the highly cultural, family-oriented Adama household definitely makes me want to side with the Adama’s, even though I’m a technology lover. I don’t have much family culture (we’re very close-knit, but lack traditions) so maybe traditions are something I’m craving. Cindy and I have talked about creating our own traditions, but this idea seems so false - did the early humans feel this way?

The series has been somewhat slow to gain momentum, but they’re working to get a number of different threads going so the pace is understandable.

Only seven episodes have aired, to date – so it’s not too late for you folks to get into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment