Monday, March 22, 2010

Mmn Vicodin

I recently lost a tooth - an old root canal and crown - to some sneaky decay. Since it was a root canal, I didn’t have any discomfort while the decay was working its sinister way into the root. Since it had been 2 years since I’d been to the dentist, it wasn’t caught in time and had to be pulled on Friday – two stitches, ouchie!

I spend a lot of my time at work giving hour-long software training sessions, sometimes up to four hours a day for sessions, with additional support calls on top of this. Thanks to all this talking my throat gets sore, so I often have a Cepacol throat lozenge in my mouth.

I realized today that I usually have a lozenge tucked in the back left of my cheek, directly against the tooth I just lost. I’ve had this job for the past two and a half years, and I’m almost certain the throat lozenges are the culprit.

Of course, no one made me use the lozenges, no one made me skip regular dental visits, no one forced me to avoid better dental hygiene – it’s all my own fault.

Let my poor lil tooth be a lesson to you all – if you have a sore throat from speaking too much; try to speak less, speak more softly, and avoid bad habits like popping lozenges as a daily crutch.

1 comment:

  1. Oh CRAP!!!!

    The light bulb just went off over my head, MC!!!....I too have a bad habit of using throat lozenges when I have a sore throat...and mostly I use them when I head to bed so I can sleep without coughing...and the two teeth that have broken off on me and need to be pulled now- are the EXACT ones that the lozenges rest against when I'm sleeping!!!!

    ReplyDelete