Sunday, July 25, 2010

LeeLoo! Multi-Pass!

Bwa Ha Ha'ing like a super villain (which I think will be my Halloween theme for this year), I downloaded the 'Dragon Dictation' app, which is supposed to be pretty decent speech-to-text program).

The iPhone version of Dragon Dictation does a decent job. I speak pretty clearly as a rule, (Death to Mumblers!) and extra carefully when dictating to an app. Dragon Dictation gets 90-95% of my words correct, which may be a wonder of programming but using the on-screen keyboard to make corrections is frustrating.

Also, Dragon has an option to post your dictated text directly to Twitter - cool!
But Dragon does not display a count of your characters - stupid!

So - Back to the Bwa-Ha-Ha. I warmly basked in a smug sense of cleverness as I recorded a story idea into the 'Voice Memo' app on my phone, and then attempted to allow the playback to dictate to Dragon Dictation, also on my phone.

But no. The two apps will not run at the same time, so much for multi-tasking - this is my first multi attempt after having the phone for a few weeks. This is the only thing I want to multitask, damn it.

I understand that only certain types of apps can run at the same time, and that the OS is just trying to maximize my processor speed experience and battery life. I can see an option in future iPhone OS's to allow multi-tasking of most apps, and pop a warning that running X and Y at the same time may not be recommended - you could allow or deny.

But I do have options now. I could dictate directly into the Dragon app and risk losing valuable details. I could record a voice memo and playback to the Dragon app on Michelle's phone. Or I could use my PC. Meh, meh, meh.

2 comments: