Monday, July 30, 2007

Gave up lint for fuzz

Hey, I've gone a full month without caffeine! (Not as impressive as Monsieur Lizard, but I'm proud) This is a huge deal for me - a few years ago, when I gave up my 4 cokes a day for lent and then gave up lent for lint, I started taking caffeine pills instead.

For years, my job involved sitting still and staring at a computer screen for hours on end - caffeine was the only way to stay awake.

Lately I'd been edgy, moody and depressed, and I kept wondering how much of it was the caffeine. Finally I decided to find out by quitting cold turkey. Quit all pills, actually. No more sinus pills, no more pain pills. Just my daily multivitamin.

Results - no longer edgy. The rest of the symptoms are hanging on. Maybe I need to eliminate something else. One thing at a time, until I discover a perfect balance. Mebbe I should cut down on the heroin?

Well, I haven't had a physical in about 18 years. (it was during my last year in high school - God, I'm old). Maybe getting one would help too.

2 comments:

  1. I can sympathize . I had to give up caffine because of my BP issues.....I still have the occasional Pepsi- but now it's a treat to have it- not a daily requirement for my sanity...and like you it was one of the toughest things I have ever had to do. Giving up cigs wasn't nearly as traumatic as giving up caffine stuff.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. I felt that it took several months to really feel "free" of my caffeine habit. I wouldn't assume too quickly that your other symptoms won't also go away, but then again, I still get moody and depressed on occasion, even though I'm quite a long time caffeine free by now.

    ReplyDelete