Monday, July 23, 2007

Maybe not squeaky clean, per se

How picky are you when it comes to clean dishes?

Let's say you use a sharp knife to cut your bagel in half - do you consider the knife dirty after cutting? Me, I put the knife back in the drawer.

Or you use the meat scissors to cut a vent hole in the frozen corn - dirty? No no, back in the drawer it goes.

How about if you microwave a giant pretzel? You put it on a plate, but the pretzel is wrapped in a paper towel, so all that is gonna get on the plate is a bit of steam. Steam is clean, m'friends!

Or you boil some water for your instant oatmeal - all that touched the pan was boiling water, and that's right up there with steam when it comes to cleanliness.

You'd think everyone would agree with this irrefutable logic, but no!

5 comments:

  1. Sigh....I'm definately anal about my dishes. ALL those would be considered "dirty" to me- it it's used- it's dirty- and at least needs rinsing before being put away. Yes- even the one with just water in it.

    And I am even worse when it comes to rinsing dishes after washing them....due to an unfortunate episode when my best GF didn't quite rinse the ENTIRE rim of a glass after washing it in "DAWN" suds'd water. That tiny bit of soapy residue made me puke for three whole days. No kidding. And if you put a bit of meat in a gl;ass of water with a spoonful of that in it and wait a day- see what happens to that meat. It will make you think twice before washing ANYTHING in that stuff- regardless of the fact that it's the absolute best stuff for doiong your dishes in.

    Yeah...I'm definately weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My flatmate doesn't wash the underside of bowls and plates when he washes them... so if they've been stacked on each other prior to washng, you get a nasty greasy suprise when you pull one off the drying rack. Ewwwww!

    My dishwashing protocol, on the other hand, is above reproach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if human (or otherwise I suppose) hands touch it (after placing it in the cupboard), it's contaminated, you filthy buggar. No logic. Just simple, clean paranoia.

    I never knew . . . or even suspected . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depends on the situation.

    Putting the knife back in the drawer (and everything you said) is fine if it's just you and your partner living in the house.

    But with room-mates? Not so much. I'd spread jam with a knife Sunny had used to cut some bread and not washed...but when I was at college, I didn't even wanna SEE a lot of the things those guys had touched.

    So I agree with you...in principle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eew, not washing the bottoms? They'd get all sticky and greasy... yuck!

    SQ, sorry to have disgusted you. I hope we can still be pals.

    Paulius - I agree about the roommate thing! Since it's just Cindy and I, it's fine.

    ReplyDelete