Tuesday, July 24, 2007

There's no winning

I don't make friends easily... it's my own fault. I'm a homebody, and pretty much keep to myself at work. I'm pretty shy until I get to know someone, and then it's hard to shut me up. Once I make a friend, it's all good - I'm the kind of pal who helps you move and picks you up from the airport.

I was thinking recently how I missed my friends in Los Angeles, and how it would be nice to play video games with (NO to online gaming, too many assholes), chat about tech, have someone to go to movies like The Transformers with - Cindy has no interest in such things.

Hey, I could find out if there were any local movie watching clubs!

Hmn.

Yeah, but they would want to see movies I had no interest in, or on days and times when it was inconvenient, and some annoying loudmouthed guy named Brad or Chad or Wad would always need a ride, but he'd be one of those people who never showers, so he would get my car all funkdified. And with my luck, he'd live in the same apt complex as me, so I'd be stuck taking him to every show, and he'd start showing up at my apartment unannounced to hang out all the time.

Shit, I can go see The Transformers by myself, and save myself a lot of grief.

Sad, no? For surely I would have such a great time with Susan, Frank, Joe, and Rodney that dealing with Wad would be worth it. Plus, I could always explain to him the need to shower daily, and how to call before dropping by. I'm very non-confrontational though, so I'd probably bottle up my frustration for a few months, and then scream at poor Wad. Then I'd feel guilty.

"You stinky fuck! Go HOME!"
Meh. Not worth it... or is it? Nah.

Also, all these companies keep sending me 'sign up a friend and get $$$'. I know there's a 'do not call' list, I wonder if there's a 'got no friends' list? Then they could spent their marketing dollars on folks that can participate.

Bah, that would just put me on the 'Meeting people in your area! Wow!' lists.

4 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, I know exactly how you feel. I'm a homebody myself, and all my friends are back in England.

    Oh, but you also forgot that Wad would insist on talking throughout the entire movie...and not just a "Whoa, that was cool" either...but a whole "Dude, I went out last night and...wait, who's that dude? Why's he attacking that dude? What happened just then?"

    My advice? Wait for it to come out on DVD.

    As for gaming, you could try out guildwars, hint hint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously this is a perfect opportunity to build your own friends, possibly an army of them, to do your unholy bidding!

    And if you can make them Transformers, there's no need to see the movie. Two birds with one stone, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:28 PM

    Wow. You and I live such syncratic lives. I am also in a I-need-friends-but-I-hate-people mode . . .

    so far, the best friends I've found have been in grad school. i think that's because we were more and more specialized by the institute. Anyway, we each have our anxiety/depression/asshole quirks that can leave us not speaking for months, only to restart the conversation later, right where we picked up. absolutely no strings attached. no guilt. at least, that's my interpretation (think could, I guess, be talking about how I'm a weirdo behind my back. those bastards.). Alas, we all live in different parts of the country too.

    Perhaps that's a pattern within itself? Distance makes the best friends? But sucks when you want to hang for drinks or movies--

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:34 PM

    on second thought, I'm not sure "syncratic" is a word (even if it should be); perhaps I mean "syncretistic" (although I wouldn't classify our relationship religiously) or "syncarpous" (whoa--don't tell Cindy that one). Damnit, what do I mean?

    ReplyDelete