Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Category Nada

Last night at 4:37am, we had our first real rainstorm since moving to the state of Florida. It woke me up, which was a surprise in and of itself, because I'm very adept at sleeping through extreme weather.

This was a textbook thunderstorm, right out of that episode of Lassie where Timmy falls down the well during the storm.

It was almost as if there were special effects guys lurking right outside our window with noisemakers, strobe lights and giant fans, while a team of firefighters manned massive hoses doing their damnedest to achieve that unsubtle 'End of the World' downpour motif.

"Damn." I said. "And this isn't even a hurricane..." I mumbled to Cindy. "This isn't a Category 2 or 3 storm. It's a Category Nothing."

"Yep." She mumbled back.

I did a quick patrol of the apartment, making sure everything was unplugged. Everything was. I came back to bed.

"Uh...There's a guy named Famine in the kitchen. He's looking for his horse."

She yawned. "A big black one? Yeah he's in the bathroom drinking out of the toilet."

5 comments:

  1. To think I spent the whole night in your bedroom closet with a making thunder noises and I didn't even get one mention in the credits. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kato, the thought of you lurking in my closet is going to give me nightmares now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's facinating how people relate real life experience to film nowadays.

    On another note, you and C have such a fabulous dialogic relationship . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. To watch a film is to experience it as if it happened to you. It's a primate thing - have you read about that study?

    Cindy is fully my equal, in that she's a good ten minutes ahead of me at every turn.

    ...If that makes any sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My original comment should have said "in your bedroom closet making thunder noises" without the "with a". My apologize for the poor copy editing.

    I do like that I creeped out Paulius, though.

    ReplyDelete