Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Grrrrrrrrrrr Yawn Snarl

The actual 'move' is over and I'm tired. I'd like a week to just nap, thank you. It's exausting - every single action, no matter how simple, requires extra effort. To get $20 out of the ATM, you have to call your bank and sweet talk them, convince them that your bank card was not stolen.

To go to the bathroom, you have to figure out where the hell you packed the TP - or go buy more. To eat something, you have to figure out where the hell you packed the plates and silverware.

It's unending. Every little thing, everything that was 1 step before is now 5 steps. 5 if you're lucky.

I was supposed to work yesterday, testing the new software project. Instead I met with a helpful but helpless banking representative, returned the UHaul Truck, and drove 50 miles to collect my car from the shipping company. Oh, and I spent 4 hours putting a desk together. Yeah. Sad.

I've been trying for 2 days to download the 400MB file I need to actually have something to test. The FTP transfer craps out every time at about 100MB. Great.

Waaah Waaah I'm a big whiner.

4 comments:

  1. I can share your pain with the following:

    - No matter how hard we tried to coordinate the placement of boxes in the house, every single damn box needed to be moved (see my post about the 17,000 lbs).

    - They packed up my cell phone charger before I remembered to keep it separate, so that battery was dead for a good long time before I just went out and bought another.

    - One of the last boxes I opened contained all of the extension cords (useful if you have so many boxes in each room that the nearest outlet is down the hall).

    - It also contained all of the TV remotes.

    - I wrote myself a check from my old bank to deposit in the new bank and they told me that because the account was so new the funds wouldn't be available for 8-10 days.

    - I also spent the first few days putting together shelving for my wife who complained that this house didn't have enough (when all I really wanted to do was get my computer up and running).

    Give yourself a few weeks to unpack then, find a movie theater, go see a summer blockbuster, have a romantic dinner with the missus. You'll feel much better about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know hindsight is 20/20, but a good trick is to pack a single bag with essentials like TP, paper plates, plastic forks etc.

    However, I know how you feel, I moved from the UK with only what I could carry in a large suitcase. Getting settled in takes a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adventure--I'd love to be in your shoes whining right now . . .

    ReplyDelete