Thursday, June 09, 2005

Artificial Intelligence

I like to think about high-tech concepts, even if I have little or no idea how the science actually works. I entertain myself with the notion that my lack of training actually makes me more creative, because I am not limited by the rote, taught preconceptions and borrowed theories.

Ha Ha As If.

But also, my ignorant ramblings have often come true - 'outlandish' ideas I had as a kid are now commonplace. So just in case, here's my view of A.I. - if for no other reason than in 30 years, I can say "I told ya so."

On the subject of artificial intelligence I have some thoughts. I tried surfing some AI Opinion bulletin boards and other websites, but everything seems to be focused on the hardware, and connecting it just so. I have the idea that we already have the hardware needed, it's all about the programming.

I believe that we first have to analyze how our own consciousness works (which has been done). I feel that consciousness is a form of schizophrenia.

Self-Awareness seems to be not a thing in and of itself, but the result of a number of overlapping agenda fighting for priority.

A. Survival
B. Procreation
C. Pleasure

Of course, 'Survival' differs greatly on your environment. If you are marooned alone on a desert island, the skills of finding water and shelter and food are primary. In Manhattan, the skills of computers, communication, and mathematics are primary, and usually result in A, B, and C. Getting 'That Big Promotion' can fall under Survival.

Procreation - does this really need elaboration?

Pleasure - This can be anything from the satisfaction that results from completing a job well done, and all the way up to physical enjoyment.

It is the constant struggle within the mind, between these three agenda and their various sub-categories, that create consciousness. Within the mind is a constant stream of desires in the form of commands.

I want chocolate, I want to snuggle with Cindy, I want that car, I want to punch that jerk, my butt itches, snuggle, car, punch, chocolate, itch, snuggle, car, punch, chocolate, itch, snuggle, car, punch, chocolate, itch.

The different agenda are each very insistent, and what is needed is to bring the priority command into action. To act, you have to decide which action to perform.

Usually, when we make a decision, even if it's just 'my butt itches', we deliberate about our environment and circumstances. Are we giving a speech in front of the whole company? Might not want to scratch our arse right now. Am I at my weekly Weight-Watchers Weigh In? Might not want to eat chocolate right now.

It's this weights and measures balancing act with each desire that results in consciousness. Lots of "I want" from one voice, and "yeah but" from another voice.

Perhaps a computer system could be designed where there were separate but connected nodes.

Each node would have an agenda assigned to it. For each node, meeting elements of its agenda would result in positive reinforcement of some sort. (Whatever it is that computers enjoy...)

The primary node would be assigned a high priority agenda, like Survival.
It would be this node that would normally have priority in decision making.

The secondary nodes would be assigned various missions - since interaction with the outside world is a must in this experiment, small robot rovers could be used. A possible agenda could be to send a rover to map the test floor. But there would be dangers, and the rover could be damaged or lost.

Perhaps the rover(s) could be collecting items during their exploration, components to power, repair or build more rovers.

A certain number of power units have to be found daily to keep the rovers going, this would be a Food agenda and would be part of Survival.

Some vital rover components could be hidden in the most dangerous regions of the test floor, and the main node would have to weigh the odds of sending a rover into that region.

Building more rovers would result in positive reinforcement, since the Procreate Node's agenda would be met.

And once a certain number of rovers were built, they work together to access a raised platform, resulting in more area to explore. If too many rovers were damaged, access to this new platform and the resources it has would be cut off.

Boredom and Desperation subroutines could be built into the system, allowing priority to be usurped by another node. If too much self-destructive behavior took place, Survival Node could take over once again.

Eventually, you could work up to interaction with foreign rovers, with differential behaviors, aggro levels and interaction protocols. It would become "Watch out for those Red Rovers, they're mean." and "Those Blue Rovers are really cool and they give us components." and "Those Green Rovers are nice - if you give them power cells, they give you rover tires.

Next thing you know -
The Green Rovers are selling tires with spinning rims...
...which the cute Blue Rovers are really partial to.

1 comment:

  1. You've been right many times before. We shall see....

    ReplyDelete