Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Fearful Batman Begins of Fear!

We went to see Batman Begins last night, and it was very good! The best Batman film in more than 10 years.

However, I need to find a site online where they have the full script available for perusal.

I'd like to scan the script and see how many times a certain word is used, because maybe I'm wrong, perhaps I'm exaggerating, but I don't think so.

I swear, every other sentence had the word "Fear" in it.

"Master Wayne, would you like some cream in your fear coffee?"
"I fear so, thank you."

"Why are you fear-dating European Supermodels, Bruce?"
"Because I fear them."

I think audiences are pretty sharp, and will grasp a theme fairly readily. We don't need to be beaten about the head and shoulders with the theme stick for 2.5 hours. After the third reinforcement of the theme, let it lie. If the audience doesn't grasp it by that point, they're not going to.

The possible over-use of the word "Fear" is very likely my only gripe with the movie.

1 comment: