Friday, August 06, 2010

She's also Violet in 'The Incredibles'


I've been enjoying 'Assassination Vacation', where Sarah Vowell makes pilgrimages to sites relevant to the assassinations of Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield and William McKinley.

She is knowledgeable with her subject matter, delivers just enough detail and has a good sense of humor about these trips. She is well grounded by the friends she 'drags along' (though I would happily volunteer for this sort of historical tourism).

It's a fun and interesting read - I already have another Vowell book, 'The Wordy Shipmates' (about the early U.S. colonists) requested from the library. I'm looking forward to it!

3 comments:

  1. I listened to the audiobook, read mostly by her with occasional guest stars (such as Jon Stewart and Conan Obrien). The audiobook is decent, though her voice doesn't exactly have the smooth dulcimer tones you expect out of an audiobook reader. I found the content itself to be pretty amusing and interesting, though I think she wanders a bit too much in some sections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about the audiobook. Having guest stars would help break up any non-fiction audiobook, that's a good idea.

    She does wander a bit here and there, it's true. The first portion (about Lincoln) is definitely the strongest - the book goes downhill from there, but it's probably the subject matter, not the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. smooth writing,I like it !GOOD!Replica Designer Watches

    ReplyDelete