Sunday, August 29, 2010

What's your 're-enjoy' level?

I've seen a lot of references recently on Twitter to "rewatch" - where you view from start to finish a great classic tv series - such as Farscape, Firefly, Star Trek: TOS, and so on.

I'm conflicted about rewatching. I've probably seen every episode of the first ten years of The Simpsons at least ten or twenty times. At a certain point, I decided that I was 'done' with The Simpsons, and watch it very rarely now. I'd rather move on to something new, something that might have a different perspective, teach me something different or at the very least doesn't contain dialogue I can quote verbatim throughout an episode.

There's a certain safe-at-homeness to rewatching. We're in our comfort zone, and we know we're not going to be disappointed. There can be a certain nostalgia to rewatching as well - I can appreciate that.

During a rewatch, we know what's going to happen, and we don't really need to pay much attention to what's going on. We can miss five or ten minutes and we still understand the plot - at this point, whatever you're watching has become background noise and part of me wonders what's the point?

Wouldn't music be better background noise? At least I could do some writing or something else creative to music. If I have a TV show playing, it's so I can watch it. I was not one of those teenagers who could do homework with MTV running in the background - I'm sure many people can be very productive while they watch TV, but I'm not one of them.

The same thing goes for re-reads of books. I love the Harry Potter books, and have read them all, but the idea of re-reading the whole series doesn't really appeal. It's a huge time commitment, and while yes the books are great... I could be reading something new.

That's not to say I don't re-read books, I do. Waiting a year and re-reading a book I really enjoyed is fun on multiple levels - I've forgotten just enough to enjoy the little details, and maybe I'll discover something new I missed the first time.

It feels as if we gain very little from re-enjoying the same book/TV show/movie over and over - a smart balance seems to be 80% new 20% re-enjoy. Currently, my level is probably 20% new, 80% old, which is depressing - most of what I'm watching isn't necessarily good, it's just a re-run or re-watch. And with Hulu and Netflix streaming, free books from the library - there's really no excuse.

Just think about all the great stuff you could be first-enjoying during your ninth rewatch of something. Maybe something you love even more than Harry Potter.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:41 PM

    i'm working and have the 3rd series of Lost running in a little window, i have already seen it but the second time around and knowing the ending some of this warped shit is starting to make some sense.

    i also did a re-watch of Babylon 5 as i got bored of the series and never saw it through to the end, it wasn't bad as i first thought. I might do the same to the BSG series and see if that gets any better with a re-watch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You;re missing one thing. I've read the entire Discworld series at least five times each, and noticed something new each time.

    I don't think it's a waste of time to re-read or re-watch something. I see it as wringing the maximum possible enjoyment out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paulius, I did say: "That's not to say I don't re-read books, I do. Waiting a year and re-reading a book I really enjoyed is fun on multiple levels - I've forgotten just enough to enjoy the little details, and maybe I'll discover something new I missed the first time."

    My point is, it may be a good idea to take a look at our level of re-enjoy compared to new material. 80/20 seems good. There's so many good books,TV shows, and movies out there that we haven't experienced yet - favorites you don't know you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry. I read your post but commented the next day. I stand corrected.

    For me, it depends on the situation. If I'm just sitting at home I'll always go for something new. If I'm taking a long trip, I take something I know I'll like.

    here's nothing worse than getting on an 8 hour flight and realizing 30 minutes in that your book is terrible.

    ReplyDelete