Tuesday, February 28, 2006

No Goodbye?

Going to the Dentist is an odd experience. A lot of people hate to go, despise the whole process and avoid it like the plague. I don't mind going, especially if the Dentist and his people are nice folks. The office we go to has the nicest group of dental professionals I've ever seen - and I've been to a lot of dentists. It's a small practice and my Dentist is a good guy, newly a Grandpa.
.
It's an odd experience. The Dentist is practically holding your head in his lap, drilling and probing and working in a very personal way inside your body. He can be toiling away in close proximity to you for twenty minutes at a time. You're swapping body heat, you can smell his cologne and he can smell yours...And then they stuff some blood-absorbent sponges in your mouth, tell you to bite down, and they breeze out of the room like it aint no thing.
.
Feels like you were abandoned, somehow.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm, my dentist must be one of a dying breed. he always says goodbye and "see ya next time!"

    He's the coolest- he knows I have a low pain threshold and always gives me enough pain killers to make me happy and pain free.

    AND I always get a sticker for being a big girl and not crying.

    :-D

    ReplyDelete