Friday, August 11, 2006

It would make for interesting new Duracell ads

A story from CNN describes a new test used to determine whether or not CPR should be performed.

I have to wonder, though - if the test takes even 1 minute, isn't that 1 minute that could be better spent performing CPR? That's 1 more minute my brain is going without oxygen.

All of the organs suffer when your heart stops, but we hear the most about brain damage. I don't know about the other organs, but there should be something we can do about the brain.

How about - if you have a known heart condition, they install a teeny battery operated pump to circulate and oxygenate the blood just in your head? If the sensor detects that your heart has stopped, the pump would go to work. It might help give you another few minutes.

Keep those batteries charged.

3 comments:

  1. That whole article bothered me too; why look for reasons to NOT perform CPR?

    please don't let me die . . . be heroic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The point is, if some has just fainted but their heart HASN'T stopped...CPR can very easily kill you. While CPR starts a stopped heart, it stops a beating one.

    I think the brain can got for something like 4 or 5 minutes without fresh oxygen before you start to get brain damage.

    I'd rather have someone stop and check to see if I need CPR, than to just go ahead and possibly kill me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think the energizer bunny would be a better fit versus the duracell.

    Think about it. Way cute bunny hanging off your head with a little oxygen moniter. You could dress it up in holiday outfits, etc.

    cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete