Friday, August 18, 2006

Using the Math

Flipping around the TV channels tonight, I was only half paying attention.

I landed on a channel where real-life family members were gathered together, crying and hugging and relating old stories about Billy Joe, and how great he was before all the Math.

His mom speaks up, tears streaming down her face. "Before the Math, Billy was in college. He had a 3.5 GPA and a management job at the sporting goods store."

Billy's father swallows hard. He's crying too. "I don't know my boy any more. It's the math. It's the damned math."

What the hell? I wondered, finally starting to listen. Did Billy Joe get sucked into the dark underworld of Quantum Physics, scribbling equations on the blackboard day and night? Is he trying to solve the
Unified Field Theory? WTF?

Now Billy's sister is blubbering about how Billy stole her bike to pay for Math. I jabbed the button on the remote control, to check the title of the show - - -

METH: Family Intervention.
.

5 comments:

  1. Math ruined my life..

    Curse you Pi! Why can't you just equal 3!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was doubly confused as you because when I read this post I read it as "Billy Joel".

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooooooooooh, that was bad--I had it figured out at "Now Billy's sister is blubbering about how Billy stole her bike to pay for Math."

    Nobody steals to pay for math.

    ReplyDelete
  4. uh-oh the sign are everywhere.
    It's 8:29 Monday morning and no new post.

    Is this what no work means?! Say it ain't so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was busy making breakfast and doing housework, thank you very much! Thppt!

    ReplyDelete