Thursday, September 07, 2006

Quorn! Without the Pellagra!

I've been wanting to try Quorn ever since I first read about it online a few years ago - but I couldn't find a grocery store that carried it. Until today!


What is it? "A mycoprotein food product" which is a fancy way of saying it's very close to being a fungus without quite being a mushroom. It grows in a vat. (If that doesn't make your mouth water, I don't know what would)

I tried the 'chicken nugget' style, (not pictured) and while it tasted almost nothing like chicken, it had a fully nominal chicken nugget texture - I never felt as if I were eating pressed fungal goo. The breading was pretty bland, it could certainly benefit from... I don't know, the addition of spices. Any spice.

It was okay, it wasn't bad. I just ate the entire 10.6oz box of nuggety blobs, so if I drop dead from anaphylactic shock, you'll know why.

Let's take a gander at the nutrition facts...
Odd, it's only 28% mycoprotein, and the rest is wheat and eggs. The whole box contained 665 calories, 270 of which were from fat. Not too exciting for something that's supposed to be a healthy alternative to real meat. 1890mg of sodium. Zero cholesterol, though.

Now that I've tried it, I probably won't buy it again.

4 comments:

  1. Meat is your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes- meat is your friend. I love veggies moe- but I couldn't do without meat.

    Don't you just hate when you're dissapointed by a product you had so much hope for?

    Me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really thinking you have way too much time on your hands. Might I suggest a tofu burger? Haven't had one myself, but I'm always game to hear another's take on it ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:18 AM

    ‘I never felt as if I were eating pressed fungal goo.’
    As if you don't feel like that eating normal chicken nuggets?

    ReplyDelete