Monday, September 11, 2006

Who's agitating my dots?

There are still a lot of awful commercials out there, but Nextel's Walkie-Talkie phones and GPS tracker commercial is so perfectly crafted, I lean forward in gleeful expectation whenever it comes on.

You can view it at YouTube
here.

The best part is when Charles Robinson (Mac from
Night Court) comes in to challenge the curious guy with "Who's agitating my dots? You agitating my dots?" and as he says it, he's eating cake off a paper plate.

The cake somehow kicks the very minor gag up to another level of funny. Great commercial. I wish there was an IMDB for commercials, so I could track the writers down and send them an email.

How do you write such a thing? Where does that inspiration come from? What clicked in the minds of the writers that said "this would be much funnier with cake"?

P.S. Here is another great Nextel commercial.

3 comments:

  1. I love both of those ads. The "push it" ad is my favorite, just because of how the look they give the guy right as they turn the music back on. Nextel/Sprint has some pretty good ads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't seen this one, but I defintely enjoy it. You're right, the cake bit is genius. It would be amusing for him to come in and ask "Who's agitating my dots?" but to have him eating cake bumps it up a notch. Also, the fact that it's Mac from Night Court and not just some random guy is an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gasp another ticket to success: "I wish there was an IMDB for commercials"!

    ReplyDelete