Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Nani's Agent Called! Eep!

Nani Power's agent called me back today! She was returning my call and message from Monday. She was nice, but All Business. It's clear that she had no time for messing around. It was straight to the point, and bang bang bang with the questions. She was accepting of my newbie-ness, and didn't give me a hard time. She seems like a very nice, very busy woman.

I'd prepared like 4 pages of notes, so I could answer questions about the Ideagateway magazine, the staff, to goal, the vision, legal stuff, all sorts of differing rights, addresses and phone numbers and email addresses. I was prepared!

I wasn't prepared. She didn't ask any of the questions I had prepared for. Being new at the publishing / literary mag thing, I couldn't have known what to expect. We haggled a bit on price, which was just odd. I'm in no position to haggle. I was expecting them to tell me the requirement, and I'd say "Yes Please, Thank You!". But she was very into the whole give and take thing. As if I was the one in charge. (I guess, if you have big money to pay for submissions and their rights, you do have power.) I have no power.

The call only lasted like 3 minutes at the most, but there was a lot of fast talking going on. I made my sad, small, meager price quote, expecting to hear a dial tone right after. But no. She said she'd talk to Nani and get back to me.

Since it's already 5:30 in California, I'm not expecting to hear any news until tomorrow at the earliest. If I had to guess, right now, the answer will be "No" or a much higher quote. I can't help but keep my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment