Monday, April 10, 2006

20 days and counting

On April 30th we'll drive off into the sunrise, toward The Sunshine State, lugging all of our worldly possessions with us.

I'm torn about leaving California - life is so laid back here. I guess that's a good reason to move, in and of itself. I need a catalyst to get my ass in gear, and a complete change might do it. We moved a lot while I was growing up, and it's in my blood. I was probably ready to leave California in 2000, and we never got around to it.

I'll probably discover that I really enjoy Miami, in the end. I didn't expect to like living near Los Angeles, I just came out here because it wasn't Cleveland, Ohio. Don't get me wrong, Ohio is a beautiful state. Cleveland feels to me like a city in decline, and just isn't a very nice part of the state.

I've been working at testing games software since 2000 - if I had a career, this would be it. There's no one to test games for in Miami, which may be a good thing, since with each new game project for the last couple of years, I say "this is the last one". There's a chance I might continue testing for my current employer, doing the telecommute thing - but I'm not holding my breath.

So what will I do for a living? Damn good question. I have a few illegal schemes that might work...

I like living where we do - we're about 4 miles from the beach, and there's an almost constant refreshing cool breeze from the ocean. The weather is mild, the people are friendly, and minds and attitudes are largely open. Virtually everyone is taking college classes, and employers are very accommodating about flexible schedules.

Personal health is also a big thing here. In a lot of areas around the country, eating right and exercising will easily get you branded a 'Heath Nut' - but you'd need a pretty extreme regimen to be branded a health freak in Los Angeles. You have a salad for lunch, and instead of getting teased, you get "Hey you want some of my avocado?" Perhaps the US has changed in the 10 years I've been here - health is much more a publicised issue lately.

Expectations and possibilities are open - the other day at the grocery store, the cashier and the customer ahead of me were very briefly talking about the movie script the cashier was working on. The chat had a real upbeat tone, and the customer was sincerely encouraging.

In Cleveland, if the cashier told a customer "I really want to write movies," the customer would look at the cashier as if they were a loon, and scurry off to safety. I've lived in a lot of places where talking about being artistic isn't welcomed, which is too bad because almost everyone has an art of some sort. Not that I go around talking about art, but it's uplifting to be surrounded by people who are comfortable with being creative.

Growing up, I didn't have any creative folks around me - so I always felt as if all my wild ideas were an unusual urge of some sort. When we have kids, I'd like them to be in an environment where saying "I want to be a sculptor!" doesn't get you snickered at.

I guess it's the whole California philosophy that I'll miss, more than individual people or places.

3 comments:

  1. Hey... most sincerely - here's hoping you have a safe trip and that you are pleased with your new "place"

    amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll probably really miss it in July when you can steam rice out on the sidewalk.

    But I know what you mean about having wanderlust in your blood. My family moved around a fair amount when I was a kid, too, and after a few years in one place, I start to get the itch. In fact, this last move for me marks the 17th address change in my life.

    And, as far as those illegal schemes go, I'd think twice about them, because down in Miami you'll have to contend with Horatio Caine who always (dramatic pause...) gets his man.

    ReplyDelete