Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Grumpy. But too tired to bite anyone

I gave up caffeine as of Saturday...

I'm far, far far far less witty when not caffeinated. The whole "I'd like a nap right about now" phrase is kinda overused for me right now.

While I'm suffering through withdrawal and until my cravings wane, I'm gonna be lazy and hit you guys with some links.

Oh, but they're high-quality links! It's all good.

I've had a link to McSweeneys.net on this page for a long while now, but it's possible that a few of you have never clicked it. You've never explored the fun that is McSweeney's. Well it's time.

This will take you to the main page, and this will take you to their archives. They do a lot of very clever and witty stuff, and not just online - I received '
Fondling Your Muse', a very funny McSweeney's book on writing, for Christmas.

Just take a look at a snippet from their submission guidelines: (full text
here)

GUIDELINES FOR WEB SUBMISSIONS

Dear writers,
A good portion of the work we publish on the website comes from complete strangers such as yourselves. While we remain small and irresponsible, and afflicted with mold-born allergies, we do our best to respond to all submissions quickly and professionally...

...PAYMENT There will likely be none. If there is any, it may come very late or in unusual currency.


I love these folks! Gotta have a sense of humor in this world.

~~~~~

Here's a few posts that I found especially funny:

By Michael Ian Black

The 4-Year-Old on a Blind Date
By Ross Murray

Nihilist Job Résumé
By Mike Richardson-Bryan

My Memoirs of My Geisha
By Sarah Walker
.

9 comments:

  1. Good stuff, thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of caffeine deprivation, there's something I've never understood:

    Caffeine increases your heart rate and blood pressure, and this is bad.

    While excercising, your heart rate and blood pressure increase, and this is good.

    How?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the links... clicking and leaping now...

    by the way... have you had terrible 'no-caffeine-headaches' ???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paulius--you so have a point.

    WTF?! No caffeine? Why? WHY? What are the benefits?

    Me? My partner is on his way, even as I type, to purchase coffee at the local Tim Hortons b/c we have no food in the house. Well, I did have Cheez-its and Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies for breakfast . . . yes, two.

    Will check out the links. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmmmmmmm. me drinking coffee now . . . . .

    think i'll go pour myself a nice tall, crisp glass of iced Coke . . .

    ew! ew! Mt. Dew--yummmy.

    Maybe some chi tea . . . lipton?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The headaches I had weren't too awful, thank goodness.

    I stopped caffeine cause it's not good for me. It makes me very edgy and irritable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SQ: That's it! You've gone too far.

    Just wait. You'll pay. Oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you. I'm something like a hundred days without caffeine now, and I rarely crave it anymore. True, it's a little hard on me when I take my wife to Starbucks to buy her venti mocha, but the plus side is that I'm sleeping better at night and I wake up easier in the morning.

    ReplyDelete