Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Eeeewww

I like to think of myself as open-minded. It's very hard to offend me. Possibly even impossible. Or so I thought until last night.

I guess 'offended' is the wrong way to say it - "icked out" would be more precise.

The Girls Gone Wild commercials have been airing for years now, and while I have never been even slightly tempted to order the videos they advertise, the commercials are admittedly silly and somewhat sexy.

But yesterday eve - while I was minding my own business, enjoying a chaste late night dose of Star Trek (the one where they meet that alien who seems nice but then eats off the first officer's face)...

Guys Gone Wild. The commercial. I have never seen more truly icky footage in all my days, and that is quite a statement. Maybe it's just that I wasn't braced for it. I was relaxing in comfortable Trek-land, and then POW!! NAKED FROLICKING MEN WITH BLURRED OUT GENITALS.

I'm just a smidgen closer to understanding why women feel objectified by such smut. Also, it was icky - have I mentioned that?

4 comments:

  1. I've seen said commercial.

    Funny what it's like when the shoe's on the other foot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen it yet- and not really looking forward to it.

    I'm sorry, but guys "frolicking" just sounds icky anyway- clothed or UNclothed.

    The real atrocity was showing it during a ST break.

    Ewwww!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was relaxing in comfortable Trek-land, and then POW!! NAKED FROLICKING MEN WITH BLURRED OUT GENITALS.

    That wasn't a commercial. It was just a Star Trek episode from the infamous and quickly aborted Season 4, when Gene Roddenberry was a) smoking crack and b) experimenting with his sexuality. The network buried most of the episodes, but occasionally one still finds its way, more or less accidentally, onto late night TV.

    ReplyDelete