Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Fatal Distraction

I'm a very distracted person. It might be the caffeine, it might be the hyperactivity (I was on Ritalin for years. Ah, the 70's...) or perhaps I have a naturally short attention span.

I like to think that my brain's leapfrog nature is a good thing, that it makes me more creative. I don't know if it's true, but I like the idea.

Of course, what good is being creative when you don't actually finish anything? Discipline does not come easily, though it's better than it once was. For me, discipline is more about being peeved at myself for being such a slacker: "Dammit, enough! You will now do X by Friday."

Distraction can be a good thing in the creative process (if you're not behind the wheel of a car or other unsafe place/activity) since it can allow you to mix different and unrelated trains of thought.

Making a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich: Bread on the paper towel, good. Butter knife at the ready... Ow, my blistered feet hurt! First put the peanut butter on the left slice, lick the knife clean - and now jelly on the - I wonder if peanut butter would be soothing on my blisters? Voila! New home remedy.

Why are you reading this? Shouldn't you be over at CK's Writing Contest, voting? Oh, you've already voted? I'm a shoe-in? Really? Gosh, thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Crapola! A writing contest?!? You didn't bust your ass to tell me--did you?

    Heck yes you've got my vote! Where do I sign?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you know me, I'm not big on tooting my own horn.

    ReplyDelete