Thursday, September 22, 2005

iHouse: Download Martha Stewart's 'Colonial Comfort 2B' for only $99,999!!

Special 3D printers can build solid, real-life objects from computer-generated designs. These printers have been around for a few years now. They lay down hundreds or thousands of very thin layers, which ultimately add up to the finished model.


One day, we'll have devices like this in our homes, to create small and simple everyday objects. Or not-so small and simple objects.

Clothing would be great, especially if it were recyclable. I can foresee a day when even electronic items could be fabricated at home. I can also imagine the day when it's time to build your new house.

The construction company clears the land, builds the foundation, and drives up the behemoth 3D Printer. Like our current printers have separate cartridges for different colors, this house-building printer would have hundreds of different substances available. All the work could be done by the printer.

The framing, the electrical lines, the water pipes, furniture and decor, even functional appliances like a washing machine or a television. Go ahead, tell me it can't be done. But in 60 years, when your great-grandkids are describing how they built their new house, you'll chuckle, nod, and say "Yeah, Etcher was right, that bastard."

6 comments:

  1. I like this idea. Too bad it will be quite a while before we get to that point.

    By the way, I'm completely exhausted from moving...I needed your Moving Ninja.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know man.... I'll have to let some other people do it first, get some data, find out about possible defects and the likelihood of cancer causing materials and such.

    But for smaller stuff, sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw one of those on the discovery channel. It worked by firing a laser at a flat sheet of liquid, the part the laser hit turned solid.

    I thought it was great. Instant action figures.

    Wasn't quite the star-trek replicator I was hoping for though.

    If I can ever get my hands on a replicator and a holodeck...my life will be complete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never call you a bastard. Can mine come with a sun room?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sun room, of course!! Make it two sun rooms, you've been extra good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:39 PM

    so all i need is a 3d image of pam anderson (when she hadnt been holed on camera) roll out the human size printer and i can fill my life with realistic friends... who needs to spend $4k on a real life doll when you can print your own... brin on the future, i want to be a dirty old man.

    ReplyDelete