Thursday, September 08, 2005

When Names Become Verbs

Ummmmm.

The blank screen and taunting cursor... Um. Taunt me.

Unlike bicycling, it seems - you can forget how to blog. Yep, it's been almost a week since my last real post, those little short ones don't count.

I'm toying with blog concepts, and nothing seems worthy. What I have forgotten is the fact that no topic is unworthy, it's all just babbling.

(Speaking for my own blog, of course - not yours).

I was reading this morning about how the Katrina refugees are basically being held captive - yes, for their safety and others, but damn - and the horrible things that went on in the Superdome, I shudder to think that I might be in the same situation some day. No matter where you live, a natural disaster can come along and wipe you out.

The immense scope of the disaster means that our standard rescue and processing ability is snafu'ed, and knowing what I now know, I might well avoid being rescued and processed if it means I'd be separated from my loved ones and all of us shipped off to different states, and my kids raped on their way to the bathroom.

I don't blame any specific people or groups for our unpreparedness - it seems to require a horrible incident to justify the immense budgets that FEMA and other orginizations would need to cope with a disaster on this scale, in a timely manner.

A year ago, I started stockpiling some survival gear, a little bit at a time, and then forgot about it half way through. Survival gear is expensive! It takes up a lot of room, and you rarely or never will use it, if you're lucky.

We'll be moving to Hurricane Alley next year, which doesn't sound appealing, but we'll be leaving Earthquake Land behind, and as Cindy is so fond of reminding me, "At least you have warning for a hurricane".

I will definitely use this most recent disaster as a kick in the butt to get our survival stash up to date. Inflatable raft included.

Gotta remember the anti-rescue camouflage as part of the kit.

4 comments:

  1. I can see your point, but if you avoid getting rescued, and a member of your group died after that, wouldn't you blame yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I feel fortunate that we endure -40C all winter. A snowstorm is a snowstorm - unless its like the Groundhog Day Gale. That website does not mention that people were without power for LONG periods of time and took some days to dig out. In any event - we have a survival rescue kit in our vehicle - otherwise, hubby being in the military has some good survival gear for starters.

    I think we all feel ultimately more fortunate and human after this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a sad fact that while disaster will bring out the best in some people, it will bring out the worst in others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gasp. you cannot be moving down that way. they are predicting storm cycles for the next 10 years. but who knows whom to trust? this is so frustrating. i believe the reason why many people did not evacuate is b/c the media has become sooo unreliable.

    but you will have your survival gear.

    ReplyDelete