Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Horror!

Hello Perth, Australia! How's tricks? Perth is home to the oldest still-operating mint in Australia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm locked into my own point of view. Logically, I know I'm right, but philosophically, I'm open-minded enough to grudgingly allow that it's up to the individual.

I'm talking about flip-flops. Not sandals, don't misunderstand. At least sandals have some strappy elements that keep them on your feet.

My roommate and I were discussing this weekend the fact that she found the car wash/gas station very slippery, and that they needed to put up a sign. (ahem - notice! water may be wet!)

Me: "Were you wearing your 5-year-old treadless flip-flops?"

Her: "Yeah, so?"

Me: "So maybe you want something with some tread on them. And you know, some toe protection.

Her: (easy breezy covergirl) "I go everywhere in my flip flops."

Me: (horrified) "I know."

She moved into our apartment recently in flip flops. On moving day, her shoe of choice was: floppy non shoes. Me, I'd wear steel toed boots. And do.

Me: "If you slipped and fell at the gas station in your flip-flops, and I was a lawyer, and you came to me wanting to sue Exxon, I'd tell you to get the hell out of my office."

Her: "Hmph."

Trouble is, my nominally logical better half actually AGREED with Flip-Flop Girl.

Shudder.

Perhaps I'm biased against them unfairly... I grew up in cold, rainy, icy, snowy places where a wetsuit would not be unwelcome 7 months out of the year. Perhaps you have to grow up in hot climates, and grow up wearing flip flops.

To me, flip-flops are transitional wet-dry footwear. You wear them at the pool, so you don't abrade your feet, and so your good shoes don't get wet and ruined. Or at the gym, from the locker room bench to the shower and back. Total flip-floppery - about five minutes a day max.

It seems I am alone in my view of flip-flops. I know this is California, but damn, people. I was in an elevator yesterday with a very well dressed guy, expensive dress shirt, slacks, briefcase, and FLIP-FLOPS!

People here wear them everywhere - work, restaurants, the mall, on airplanes, and everywhere in-between. How? Why? You can't walk quietly, you can't walk quickly, and god forbid you should have to run.

Don't they stub their toes? Hurt their heels? Don't their feet get cold? Why, Lord? Why?

8 comments:

  1. An Anti Flip-Flop post?

    Is Etcher losing his edge?

    Hating my favorite footwear is not a good way to get comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an edge at some point?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate flip-flops.

    My feet are wider at the toes that at the ball of my foot, so flip-flops always fall off, or do that think were they move to the side, and hurt the crap out of your heel.

    Flip-flops:

    Beach or swimming pool, yes.

    Anywhere else? No.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The three blisters on my back-to-school-sexy-shoe-feet are utterly screaming for flip flops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Litany:

    I think Etcher is deeper than comment fishing--where have you been?

    Flip flops need to be discussed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was supposed to be punny.

    Etching... Edge...

    No?

    Thpppttpt.

    (Where have I been? Same place as always, but my leash is short these days)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we have the oldest still-operating mint, but do I see any of that money? No, I do not. How about a little fiscal sugar for Blandwagon, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:59 PM

    I agree with you, Etcher. Flip-flops are disturbing. Pool yes, office no. I hate the smack-smack sound as some heifer waddles past my desk. Not to mention the ground grit that sifts onto the cheap foam sole and dirties your foot and eventually leaves a disgusting foot shaped stain. Ugh. Besides, most peoples' feet are FUGLY! Cover those up! At least men should not wear open shoes. I saw a shirt once that had a picture of a crucified Jesus that said "people who wear sandles get what they deserve." ha
    Brat-1

    ReplyDelete