Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Popcorn Dilemma

One of the reasons I petered out and quit writing my 2004 NaNoWriMo project was that the concept seemed too unbelievable, even to me.

The #1 reason was that I got lazy. Sad.

Anywhoo, the unfinished novella was about a TV reality show that duped people into thinking that World War 3 had happened, and that they would spend the rest of their lives in a government bunker.

The idea that a studio would have lots of moral and legal reasons not to do such a show troubled me, so I created a psycho producer who decided to fund and make the show on his own, without the meddling of the studio.

But even this seemed a bit tenuous, and together with the laziness factor, I stopped working on it.

A few days ago, I read
this: A story about a TV reality show where people are training as Astronauts to soon participate in what they think is a real Space Shuttle launch. Again, I'm doubtful.

It would be very difficult to realistically simulate a launch even into near space (which would explain why they don't experience microgravity) - I guess it depends on who you cast and how gullible they are. But this show does make my bunker idea very slightly more believable, since the studio seems fully willing to dupe these people.

Of course, unlike my bunker-dwellers, none of the faux Astronauts are likely to commit suicide because they've been locked in a bunker for months and they think everyone they've ever known or loved is dead... Hmn.

4 comments:

  1. I loved that last line! LoL! There's the real problem--a happy future v. doom for the participants.

    but hey, it worked for the _Truman Show_.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While this is a disturbing premise, I think I would like to read this story.

    Actually, I would have no more trouble believing that premise of a reality show than I would with any of the actual "reality" shows out there.

    I still maintain that Tiny House from the Geico commercial looks better than about 95% of the real shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet suicide would drive up the ratings - hope they can hold out until sweeps week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should finish it and send me a copy. That sounds right up my alley.

    I read a similar book where there was a murder in the Big Brother house. It turned out the studio exec did it by splicing footage to hide it, all for ratings.

    That was great, and slightly less plausible that your idea!

    ReplyDelete