Thursday, October 26, 2006

actually looking forward to it

I'm starting my new job on Monday, and I am SO READY to get out of the house. When we first moved from California, I spent the first few months telecommuting and the next couple of months searching for a new job when the work-from-home gig ended.

So I've been sitting at home alone ALL DAY EVERY DAY FOR SIX MONTHS. It might sound like heaven, but it got old very quickly. Since we moved, I don't have any friends in Florida to hang out with - it's just me and the poor harrassed cat for many many hours every day.

I wasn't nearly as prolific with my writing as I hoped I'd be. I wrote a handful of short stories, but nothing I'm very happy with. I think even as a professional novelist, I'd want a part time job just for some human interaction beyond my poor harrassed wife.

I think you need a certain amount of work friction in your life to give you something to vent about - or at least some work-loathing angst to motivate you into your creative hobbies, if just for distraction or to become a professional hobbiest and thereby change your situation.
.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:49 PM

    Welcome to my world...only for me it's been 2 years 6 months, and I'm not starting work on monday.

    Hope everything works out! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I feel for you, I really do. There's no telling how insane I would become after 2 years and 6 months. You've held it together very well, kudos!

    ReplyDelete