Thursday, October 19, 2006

Oversensitive as a good thing?

I'll eat just about anything, except for all kinds of melon and coconut, which for some reason taste vile. It's likely that my tolerance of just about everything is a result of not having a very sensitive sense of taste.

Cindy on the other hand is highly picky of what she eats, and loves the smell of coffee but not the taste. (She seems to have a very sensitive sense, and I've encouraged her to become a professional taster to no avail).

Yesterday my breakfast was oatmeal, with a couple of fresh Kiwi fruit after. Due to its enzyme action, Kiwi will eat into your mouth - similar to what fresh-cut pineapple will do.

A few hours later, I fixed myself a hot dog with mustard and relish. Eating it was a transcendent experience. It was as if I'd never tasted real mustard or relish before! So tangy and zippy and flavorful! The flavors were so strong that they actually hurt a bit. It wasn't that the ingredients were gourmet - they were the boring, normal products I've eaten a hundred times. It was my over-sensitive mouth.

I wonder if this sensitivity could be used in some way - you'd eat a specific appetizer which would prime your mouth for the meal to follow. Since I don't know anything about real cooking, it's likely such a practice has been around for a thousand years or so.

I wonder - if I could really taste most of the food I eat, how much of it would taste horrible?

No comments:

Post a Comment