Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Well crap.

After deciding recently that I couldn't participate in NaNoWriMo this year because of the demands of the new job, I'm having second thoughts.

You're not allowed to study at home in any way. In fact, you're forbidden to even think about work while at home - I had to sign a waiver to that effect. You're not allowed to enter class more than 5 minutes early, either - so no showing up an hour early to brush up.

So it looks like I could try NaNoWriMo!

But I'm not prepared! No story idea, no outline, nothing. Usually I'll do a lot of mental processing on a concept a few weeks before I start a long project. But not this time. Will that turn out for the better? Is no prep a better way for me to go?

We'll see.

5 comments:

  1. if this works for you, i will shoot you, novel man

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's certainly going to be my approach this year. I haven't given this any thought at all, except to say that I'm writing part 2 of what I wrote last year. I don't even remember the character names from last year, so I'll have to look that up before I start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what exactly is nanomewra or whatever it is called? And can I have your job?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Misty - 'NaNoWriMo' is the short way of saying 'National Novel Writing Month' - the website is here. Basically what it is, you're writing a novel in just 30 days.

    It's not that bad, you want to write an average of 1667 words a day for each of the 30 days in November.

    You can create a profile on the website and can log in your progress as you go. There are forums on the site where you can read writing tips and tricks, post comments, join up with writing buddies online or even writing buddies in your real life area (people get together at Barnes and Nobles and such for group writing sessions).

    If you've reached 50,000 words by midnight on November 30th, you "win", just like thousands of other people will "win". There's even a certificate you can print out when you "win". Your novel doesn't have to be finished on the 30th, but your word count has to be at least 50,000.

    The whole idea is to get people writing and having fun with it, worrying more about getting something written, even if it needs a lot of editing later, at least you got the writing done. There's a great companion book called "No Plot? No Problem!" which I recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool...I probaby won't check it out because I am one of those who totally bends under writing pressure. My mind goes blank, my fingers go numb. The sheer notion that I would have to write "x" number of words by a certain date scares the beejeezee's out of me.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete