Thursday, March 01, 2007

Seminole for "Sandy Sandbar of Sand"

As I drive past the many construction sites in the area (wait, 'many' is not concise enough... I think I remember the Governor of Florida declaring the entire state a National Construction Zone) I came to realize something...

Instead of getting dirt and rock when you dig here, you get sand. Then more sand, and then water (once you get about 6 inches down, you get to the water table - this is a good state to be a well-digger) and then more sand.

Florida is just one big sandbar, it seems. Global warming does frighten me, yes - the highest point in Florida is only 345 feet above sea level. (My home state of Ohio has Real and Manly Dirt and Rock! Its highest point is 1550 feet. That's what I'm talking bout!)

As I go around the block on my morning walks, I see all the little ant-hills coming up through each crack in the sidewalk - and of course, all the ant-hills are made of sand. I wonder if Florida ants are damned tired of sand? Could we arrange a work-rotation program to Georgia? Let Florida ants work with a bit of clay, and Georgia ants work with some sand for a change?

It'd be good for colony morale, I'm sure.

1 comment:

  1. I hold to the theory that Florida is simply a large inhabited sand bar off the coast of Texas. Although I do miss the elevation changes of southern Ohio, I can't say I preferred the solid clay terrain.

    ReplyDelete