Monday, March 12, 2007

Tick tick tick

I quit my job recently - had I mentioned that? I couldn't take it. I thought I would love a strict corporate structure, and everything that went with it - since I'm highly perfectionist about my work, and I have a strong work ethic.

Instead, I hated it. Maybe I'm far too spoiled by working in game development. Maybe I just missed the self-congratulation of working for free spirited companies over the past 10 years and showing off how timely and studious I could be? Look at me! Look at me!

My sweet and thoughtful wife completely supported my decision to quit - how cool is that? So I'm back in job-hunting mode.

One of Cindy's coworkers makes money on the side as a non-fiction writer for a number of area publications, and Cindy is encouraging me in that area. Since I'm not working, Cindy has assigned me to write two nonfiction pieces by the end of the week. But I don't have any idea which topics to pursue. I mean, I'm not an authority on anything other than my own BS.

So... yeah. Any topic suggestions? Time's running out fast!

Also, some of these job postings are downright funny -

Phlebotomist / Currier
In this position, you would take blood and tan hides? Please tell me you meant "courier". Who has no trouble spelling Phlebotomist, and then stumbles over "courier"?

Lawn Enforcement Officer
Do I get a ruler, badge and gun? Sign me up!

Psychiatrist - Entry level will train
Sounds interesting, actually.

3 comments:

  1. A non-fiction piece on the psychiatrist job would be interesting. I have a mental picture of the pimply-faced teen from The Simpsons, wearing a 'trainee' badge and standing next to screaming, traumatised patient, and calling out to his supervisor, "Mr Johannsen! It happened again!"

    Also, I'd imagine that an "entry level psychiatrist" would have to be a freudian :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, wow.

    Wasn't expecting that one! ::sheepish grin::

    Writing? Start with a list--brainstorm 30-50 topics that you are interested in (lots could be gaming related, but must be specific).

    Email me the list by noon tomorrow. Brainstorm means writing quickly--anything and everything. Flush it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 30-50 topics? Wow, no pressure. I was trying to come up with 2!

    Actually, I'm not all that much of a gamer - it was a mostly a job. I've played a lot fewer games than you might think!

    ReplyDelete