Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Objectionable Post, Do Not Read

Have you heard about ClearPlay?

They're DVD players with software filters specifically designed to edit out objectionable material - sex, violence, bad language. It's an interesting concept - not really for me, but I can see the value in it.

Check out a before and after comparison of The Matrix Reloaded here.

My real reason for mentioning it is this - though there are millions of people who find extreme violence objectionable, I find sweet-sweet nice-nice (SSNN) to be objectionable. Kids growing up on SSNN programming aren't living in the real world. They won't be properly prepared when someone slips them some acid (or some tongue).

How will little SSNN subverted Billy react when he catches two cute girls making out in the library? Poor Billy will be lost, poor Billy, raised exclusively on SSNN will run as fast as his little legs can carry him to report the incident to a librarian instead of peeking through the books while he BLEEPS BLEEP to a BLEEP BLEEP all over the reference section.

Damn Billy. Damn. That should have been a memory you treasured for the rest of your life, and what did you do? Blabbed to the school about two nice girls exploring their sexuality. Would they be hazed? Ostracized? Worse? All because of Billy and his unfortunate SSNN upbringing.

TSK.

Don't despair folks! Introducing NAWTY (National Association for the Wickidification of Television and film YEAH!).

Thanks to NAWTY, where once there was "Gee golly", "Yes Dear", "I love you Daddy", and "Gosh, I think I like you" now there's "Holy Shit!" "F-yeah baby!" "Screw you, you're not my real Dad!" and "DO ME right here on the floor of the laundry room, you magnificent stallion!"

Thanks to NAWTY, Billy will know how to properly enjoy the library. And his camera phone.

Studios will benefit too! Just think of all those episodes of 7th Heaven and Touched by an Angel..that could be enjoyed by a brand new audience!

1 comment:

  1. I know this was meant to be a funny post (and succeeded), but you brought up some excellent points.

    Like my cousin who's a grade-school teacher isn't allowed to mark work with a red pen because it's considered 'too aggressive' and instead has to use green.

    Kids today are in for a major shock when they reach the real world. When you drop the ball on a major project at work, your boss doesn't say "Never mind" and give you an atta-boy for trying.

    ...and now I've totally hijacked your post to express my own points of view, I'll go.

    ReplyDelete