Sunday, November 01, 2009

NaNoWriMo 2009 - Day 1

I'm working on this story for this year's NaNoWriMo - I'm just picking up where I left off after last year's NaNoWriMo story, so maybe I'll come close to finishing the novel this year.

Congrats to fellow NaNoWriMo'ers Invisible Lizard, KCGator and Logician - you guys are kicking butt on word count!

Day 1: My Words Written - 1780

'Lost Time'

Synopsis:

Sam is a single father with a dangerous past who’s worked very hard to maintain an orderly life. His sixteen year old daughter Kate is dealing drugs and confronting neighborhood dealers.

In the middle of a meeting for a corporate merger, Sam has a seizure and is hospitalized.

Waking up after the seizure, Sam has lost memory of everything that’s happened during the past two weeks, and is affected by a strange phobia he’s never had before. Sam begins taking anticonvulsants, but the seizures continue at random. With each seizure, Sam loses more memory and more time – and then loses his job. He begins psychotherapy – through it all, the only constant is the phobia.

Sam and Kate try to keep his condition secret from Social Services, who is scrutinizing the small family after Kate’s drug bust six months before. As Sam loses weeks and eventually years, he loses the will to control his demons and the person he once was begins to surface.

Eventually a pattern emerges, shedding light on Sam’s hidden past and the trigger for the seizures, which drives father and daughter across thousands of miles tracing the ultimate source of Sam’s regression.


I'm not in love with the title, so if one of you smart people have a suggestion, I'm wide open to a better title.

3 comments:

  1. Writing!!!! We need to do more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great story. Can't think of a better title after reading your synopsis, but *when* you finish it, I'd love to give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I feel the concept is good, I just hope I can do it justice.

    ReplyDelete