Thursday, October 14, 2004

Golfing Fun and Fearless Deer

Mom and Michelle were working again. Dad and I went to Little Met to play golf. http://www.clemetparks.com/recreation/golf/little_met.asp We got there at a good time, about 10:30 or 11:00. We rented a bag of clubs for me and warmed up on the practice green.

We asked to go as a twosome, and the clerk agreed, but just before we left, we got paired with two other people. The other two guys were really nice, and really laid back. This was a very good thing, because I really stink at golf. Some of my shots went all of 20 feet. The very first tee was the best example, my ball skidded along the wet grass and stopped - about the distance I could have leisurely tossed it underhand. The golf went well, even though I had a pretty crappy performance.

Occassionally I would hit a decent shot, but I was very inconsistent. If I did something right now and then, I didn't know what it was or how to duplicate it. At the 8th tee, a threesome of what looked like mule deer were lazily munching grass right in the middle of the fairway. I wished that I'd brought my camera! But, with the two partners with us, I wouldn't have wanted to take the time to take pics anyway.

I was really wary of hitting the deer with my golf ball, since I was the first one up to tee off. The better players of our group are really good at sailing the balls up high, but the way mine liked to skid along the ground, I just knew I was gonna kill a deer. I tried shooing them away, but they just kept on eating. I hit the ball, and it went about 30 feet, or about half way to the deer. No reaction from the grass eaters.

Everyone else hit their balls, sailing easily over the deer, who never moved. I moved forward to hit again, and the deer still didn't move. I had to hit the ball again, now even closer to them. I missed killing them once again, whew! It wasn't until I got within about 20 feet that the deer very slowly began moving into the trees. Very slowly. As if they had absolutely no fear of humans.

After golf was done, Dad and I went to meet up with Mom at the grocery store. It turned out that Grandma was with her! We met up with them already in line at the cashier, and went home with them. Mom had stopped to pick up fried chicken earlier, and so we feasted on 'Mr. Chicken' brand goodness when we got home.

The computer was acting oddly, and despite my best efforts (which are not very advanced) would not behave. I asked Michelle and Garrett to take me to Best Buy, where I picked up Norton Antivirus 2005. I also demonstrated my mad dancing skills for Michelle and Garrett on the demo pad for Dance Dance Revolution. Michelle was laughing at me - it is funny to watching someone hop around on the pad.

When we got home, I tried installing Norton, without success. The CD-Rom drive was acting up and wouldn't read the disc. I tried repeatedly to get the install to work, but no dice. This also meant that I would not be able to reinstall the Kodak software, which would make Mom and Dad's new digital camera useless. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment