Monday, October 25, 2004

Yet Another Monday

I'm at work, per usual. It's a slow day, per usual. Did I mention that the job we're doing now is scheduled to be complete on December 1st? That's the plan. So, barring any extra projects or delays, that will likely be my last day. At a guess, I'd have to assume we'll be late by a week or two - since most projects run over. Hmn, December 1st is a Wednesday. Odd day to be one's last day, what?

I've been stressing about the whole "go to school, eventually get a real job" plan. I dunno how I'll do at school. Normal classes = fine. (I think) Math classes = fear. I talked to Dad about my Math Stress while I was home in Cleveland, and he was encouraging, saying that if I work at it, I'll get it. Also that I didn't need an 'A' in the class, I just needed to pass it. True enough.


We'll see what happens. My Mom's view is you'll be 40 either way. Do you want to be 40 with a degree, or without? Good point. I don't know that I need a degree for what I'm planning... It's likely that I'm fooling myself to think I'll be able to take some classes and get certified, and get a job. I need to talk to some people in the industry.

I want to discuss my "writer" scenerio with Michelle, but I have not been able to bring myself to. I'd work part time, just as if I were going to school. Instead of going to school, I would write. Writing is cheaper than school - no classes to pay for, no books, no parking, gas, on and on. I think the classes are $18 a unit. Most classes would be $54 at that rate, each class requiring one or more books.

I don't know if I want to do the "writer" scenerio because I'm lazy and afraid of college, or because Damn It, I'm Meant to be An Artist!! Hmn. I think a real writer would probably spend more time writing than I do. Wake up in the night and write a story. Get inspired at work and spend lunch writing a story. Spend the weekend - not watching tv - but writing. I don't do any of those things. I think the last story I wrote is a couple of years old now. I have plenty of ideas, but I shelve them.

I've entered a writing contest through google/blogger. It's a thing where you write a book. You do a chapter a day, every day for the month of November. Each of these chapters are basically blog entries, and people can read them. At the end, the best book wins.


I'm gonna do my best and get up to 50,000 words (the least you can write to qualify) and tell a good story. If I can do this, it's a good sign that I Am An Artist Damn It.

We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment