Monday, December 26, 2005

I Got a Job for Christmas

As you may know, I'm a video game tester. I've been working on the same game for about two years now, from the concept stage to the present.

It's a great concept, I work for a medical research company, we're making a game for sick children - showing them what the battle looks like inside the body, and how important it is to follow a Doctor's instructions.

No matter how great a project is, it's cool to go on to the next one. You can get tired of hearing the same music, lines of audio, and etc all day every day for months or years.

The current project is finally coming to an end soon, and the next day I'm getting a new job with a different company... And I get to work at the same office and keep my desk - how cool is that?

The new project will start in January and is all about making music. The problem is, I don't know anything about music (I made that clear at the interview). The only thing I know about music is that I like to listen to it. Oh - and that birds sitting in interesting patterns on power lines can inspire a composer - I learned that from a TV commercial.


So I'll be learning a lot, hopefully.

Since I'll be making music for eight hours a day for months on end, a slightly non-terrible piece of music by yours truly will have to come out of it. It's just a matter of time, right? Right?

If I do manage to make anything decent, I'll post it here. In the meantime, if anyone knows of any good music resources I might study - like, nomenclature and theory - something for complete newbies - let me know!

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a very cool, very useful idea for game. I can only imagine some of the unique roadblocks you have probably come upon.

    It's always fun to get to do something new and learn more. Good luck with the new position. (How are you managing to not even change desks?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The not-changing desks thing:

    I work in Los Angeles at the game developer's office (A) where the programmers and artists work making the health-oriented game.

    I work for the medical research company in San Franscisco (B) to test the game.

    I am employed by a temp agency (C) for whom I actually factually work - I'm contracted out to B (who pay C, who then pay me my wages) as I work at location A.

    My position with B is ending, so I will no longer be working for C.

    Instead I work directly for A.

    Make any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it does actually, but could you draw a diagram of it anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. how cool is that?

    you get to help sick children and learn music! you are starting to sound like a saint . . . saint etcher . . .

    i got a lap harp for christmas--does that count for anthing? i can pluck Amazing Grace . . .

    ReplyDelete