Thursday, December 01, 2005

I'd like to thank Juan Valdez and Lakshmi,

.

I did it!

I broke 50,000 words (
50,308 to be precise) at about 11:50PM last night, pant pant pant!

I was sure that the NaNoWriMo servers would be far too overloaded with last-minute wanna-be's like myself - I was sure that I wasn't gonna be able to get my word count validated by midnight, but it worked fine the first time!

Big time kudos to the most excellent
dshoffman, my NaNoWriMo co-competitor who finished like 97 hours before me! We both won, YEAH! High Five DUDE!

An generous helping of Negative Kudos to my other NaNoWriMo co-competitor
Invisible Lizard, you're a quitter, you quitting quitter you. Tsk, I say. Tsk and pay up. Just send my winnings to charity.

So yeah I did the fifty thousand words, but I'm not proud of all of them. I'm proud of the accomplishment, that I actually had the stubbornness to stick to it for 30 days, and to write when all I wanted to do was nothing.

The inexorable appeal of doing nothing is like unto a black hole, I tells ya. Well I don't need to tell you, you're doing nothing right now. And loving it, I daresay.

The novella I spent November pounding out is titled FAST, which is an acronym for the the name of an epidemic that sweeps the world, resulting in extreme allergies (resulting in anaphylactic shock) to almost all food. It's more about people than the crisis itself, a series of vignettes.

I'll be posting the more readable chunks of FAST on my fiction blog, Anon Fiction... over the next couple of days. If you're interested, take a look. I'll let y'all know when it's up for viewing.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations. I look forward to reading it once you post it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup, it's an achievement alright!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WooHoo! Thats great!! Getting in line too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I accept my electronic whippings. But, I will say, considering my own long and frustrated literary history, my (nearly) thirty thousand words were hard earned and quite an achievement.

    Still, I bow to you and Doug as my clear and obvious superiors in the writing game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words guys!

    Let's see if you still feel that way when you read it.

    :::Foreboding clouds of doom gathering:::

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing. Kudos, for sure.

    Now who's jealous?? Uh, me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and you did it without extending the contractions??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I extended a few contractions, I admit. On the 27th I think.

    But I left most of them as is.

    "I am very happy!" just sounds wrong.

    ReplyDelete